Saturday, June 25, 2011

God is in Control

I decided this time, I'd post the scripture reading first (since that's easy to do and I know not everyone gets to the Bible prior to reading the blog):

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Above all - we need to know that we do not determine these times - God does. And we need to remember that he is in control.

In this story, Miranda, 67, is losing her elderly mother, who initially had a series of ministrokes and then a nurse gave her the wrong meds and put her in a coma. Miranda, in her grief, is visited by a man and reminded that God is in control. She finds peace in this and can put aside her blame of the nurse.

I really don't want to even imagine losing anyone close to me (us). I think the closest loss was Kelly - and that was hard. I truly hope and pray we all live to a healthy old age and die of natural causes. But I also hope and pray that no matter what happens, and when it happens, that we can all have peace in God to get through it.

3 comments:

  1. True inner peace is knowing that God is in control even when we are grieving the loss of a loved one!! (Cute true story - I remember hearing about a man who was very ill and everyone believed that he was going to die and his wife told him that he couldn't die because she didn't want him flying with the eagles and leaving her down here with the turkeys!! He didn't die.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another good bible verse. Another thing to remember is that our timing is not always God's timing. He answers prayer with a yes, no, or not now. Campus Crusade has a little booklet called "Have You Head of the Four Spiritual Laws?" You can google it and read it online but be sure that you have the Campus Crusade one as there are others out there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise I like that you posted the scripture. I do read them but it was a good reminder. I think feeling that there's a reason that someone was taken away does help ease the pain. However, I've lost more loved ones than I'd care to and I always find myself questioning Him and His decisions, but still find at the end of the day that He decides these things and there's something comforting in that.

    ReplyDelete