Monday, February 21, 2011

God's Ways

Ok, so I read the story for this week and I also read the the scripture reading. My first reaction was, "Dang! Jacob sure got around!" But then I tried to tie connections between the two. Here is what I found:

1. Both contain characters that are desperate and that desperation led to even more pain.

-Rachel was desperate for children because she wanted to give Jacob children. Margaret and Bill were both desperate to have children to complete their lives. Both made the decision to get children in other ways. Rachel through her maidservant and Margaret and Bill through adoption. It seems as though their desperation led to a lot of heartache. Rachel could not wait for God to give her a child so she allowed Jacob to sleep with her maidservant, which probably caused more jealousy and hurt feelings for Rachel than the fulfillment she was looking for . Margaret and Bill relied too heavily on the Agency which promised a 100% risk free adoption, but in reality it was not risk-free at all.

2. Both illustrate that God has the power to give and the power to take away.

-God made Rachel barren, but when the time was right allowed her to have a child. God let the first adoption fall through, but then brought them another little girl.


I think the lesson to be learned is that although it is hard sometimes we just need to leave our fate up to God. He truly does know what is best for us and in the end when we see the big picture, we will be thankful. When we can't wait for God and we take things into our own hands, well, there's the potential of being hurt even worse.

So in the end, trust in God. He knows what is best, especially when we don't.

5 comments:

  1. Kristen, you did an excellent job with this one. I don't have anything else to add. I have read it several times over the last week and thought about it and still nothing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess that I do have a comment: We need to take everything to God in prayer. There is nothing to little or too big that he can't handle. Sometimes we need to step out in faith, like Bill and Margaret did by contacting the adoption agency and we keep moving forward until God says yes, no, or wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry so late...Kristen, AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was me being funny. Kristen, you really did a nice job on this one. I aree with your mother.

    I've been trying to be more consciencious of prayer. I've found mysef saying a little prayer here and there. It's nice to have a place to go and see what other people are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry so late too - I did tell Kristen over the phone that I thought she did a really nice job with this story. These stories seem to have a consistent theme about us not knowing the big picture and to leave the planning to God!

    ReplyDelete